Learn to read and write Chinese characters. That’s the main selling point of Skritter. It is a paid online service that helps you learn how to write Hanzi. The concept is simple: the site prompts you to write a character using your mouse or touchpad. As you write the character, Skritter helps you out by giving you an outline, correcting your stroke order and quizzing you on a its meaning. You can practice characters from a number of different sources, whether it’s a list that you put together yourself, or new words from your current textbook.
This tool is applicable to new learners, intermediate-level students, or even advanced speakers of the language. This is the number one most recommended tool on Mandarin.ie. It is perfect for preparing for exams such as the HSK or just improving character recognition and writing ability. They will soon be releasing an iOs App for iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, which will be perfect for studying on the go.
- Proven method for learning how to read and write characters effectively.
- Also improves your tones and listening abilities.
- Great feedback and statistics on your study progress.
- Huge number of vocabulary lists already pre-programmed for use.
- Ability to make your own lists and study other users’ custom lists.
- Works on Android.
- iOS App to be released soon, for learning characters while travelling etc.
- Large forum community of Chinese and Japanese learners.
- $10 Fee/Month
- Stroke recognition is not perfect
- Character reviews can become overwhelming.